08 August 2006

The mall...

My watch battery died last week, and I headed to the mall to get it fixed. On my way to the watch kiosk, I had a salesman tout me about his products. I evaded well. Been there, done that.

I hand over my watch, and have a five minute wait. I start to look around, watching the mall-goers as they too are touted. He didn't seem to have much luck.

Behind me, I noticed a new kiosk, as yet, unmanned. They will offer threading, a process common in India and at least some parts of the Middle East. It's hard to succinctly describe, but, it's facial hair removal through use of thread. The thread is twisted, and captures the hair. It's less painful than waxing, and fairly quick. There was a "help wanted" sign, and offer to train.

I noted the price list. It was about what you would pay in India, just in dollars instead of rupees.

I felt like there was a bit of India in the mall.

No comments: