29 October 2006

Are you ready to vote?

I'm not opening this up for a free for all to express your political opinions. I'm not up for moderating that discussion. I'm just asking if you feel prepared to vote.

Like it or not, in Illinois, we elect our judges. The first couple of times I voted, I felt bad because I just had to guess if I should vote to retain someone. I could have unknowingly voted for someone inept. Knowingly is one thing, unknowingly is a psychological burden.

But the Illinois State Bar Association conducts a poll of attorneys. They require a 65% approval rating from the respondents before the judge is "recommended" for retention. They also have questionnaires, which the Bar evaluates, and gives a subjective qualified/not qualified rating. Is it perfect? No. But it's the best I could find.

Click here and select your county to see the ratings.

While we're at it, I'd recommend these folks as well. They send you an email detailing how your Congressional delegation voted over the previous week, as well as letting you know what's coming up to bat.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

An NRA-endorsed candidate would have to do some serious work to not get my vote. So my life is pretty uncomplicated on the state and federal level.

When it comes to village I vote for friends of the Fire Department. For Park District I vote for anyone who isn't going to keep land-grabbing and tax-base-reducing.

For school district, I'm voting the bastards out who screwed up the tax collections for the past 3 years. If you haven't heard about this, it's a hoot. They got a tax increase enacted by referendum to knock down old schools and build all new ones. Then, due to some paperwork error, only HALF of the houses in the district actually had their taxes go up. So the rest of us have been footing the bill for new schools for the a-holes on the other side of the line. We're waiting to hear what their grand solution is for this fine mess. I'd hate to be the guy who just moved in on the wrong side of the line and gets stuck with a retroactive tax increase... it's not all that good for us either, because for some reason, folks on the other side of the line not paying their full share, ALSO caused those of us on OUR side to not pay the entirely full amount of the increase either. I'm not understanding how that works, but that's what they say. So I'm voting the lot of them out on their asses, just as soon as I can figure out which ones are the incumbents. As you can imagine, they're not advertising the fact.

/pbz

Anonymous said...

LINK TO ARTICLE

Here is an article that tries to explain some of it. I don't even understand the phase-in/abatement issue.

All I want to know is, if these people can't even implement a tax increase without changing the implementation afterwards, and then later screwing it up and not noticing for years--- how can they be trusted to run a school system?

Anonymous said...

As a CPA and auditor of non-profit and governmental entities, I would like to know where the school district's auditors are in this discussion. There was no mention in the article of them even attending or having any input into the analysis or solution.

In addition, the Cook County auditors apparently missed this oversight, though as large as Cook County is, the $2.2 million could actually have been considered immaterial to their financial statements.

Between the lawyers, accountants and politicians, all I can say is I wish you good luck!

Anonymous said...

Oops that was me, Chris K

Marcia said...

Wow. I consider myself to have a good grasp on the English language. But I have no idea what that reporter was trying to tell me. It seems as if the board member screwed up in giving a quote. You at least know she's an incumbent...

Anonymous said...

Stupid election. *#!%@&