03 October 2006

Offering opinions...

U of I sent me an alumni survey. It was once said that I am passionate about any survey I take. This, I can't deny. I've always given thought to the questions, and even how I answered them.

I noticed two things:

1. I really liked the boxes at the end of each page. They basically asked that I share any other thoughts I had about the topic at hand. It was open season for me to discuss what I really value about my undergraduate degree. I do think this is a "blog residual" - my ability to spout off about anything.

2. For the last week, I have been entering survey results into a computer as part of the current job assignment (I'm in vet-med, and it rules). As I was checking the boxes, I was taking stock of the questions to guess which they will check for correlation.

But I have found that the only really meaningful data comes from the boxes at the end...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I must have gotten the same survey. Actually, twice, since I didn't respond the first time.

The thought that came to mind the first time was, "My opinion costs a couple hundred bucks an hour, and they seem to have forgotten to include the check." (*crumple*)

The second time around ("we didn't get your response yet, here is another copy"), my thinking was more like, "Wow, stubborn." (*crumple*)

/pbz

Marcia said...

Huh. They must have realy wanted your opinion. You were sent paper; I just received email. I don't think that I would relish the paper as much as the electronic version, where it's easy to change a radio button upon further reflection. Like I said, I'm passionate about any survey I take.

Anonymous said...

Neilsen sent me one of their TV surveys to keep track of what I watch on TV for a week. They included a dollar in the envelope. A doooohahahahahaaaallar. "I don't even watch TV." So I took the dollar, because I'm not an idiot, and the rest went (*crumple*).

Anyone ever wonder what would happen if you put one of the outsourced tech support phone numbers into one of these survey systems? I think they would enjoy talking to each other....