12 June 2006

Mobile phone...

No, I don't yet have a mobile phone, but I do have a story:

So my mobile phone arrived from Amazon. I'll spare the details (I know, it's rare), but the bottom line is that I needed to contact Amazon's customer service. Hmmm... How do I find the customer service number?

About four clicks later, I hit "Call me."

You read that right. You punch in your phone number, and tell them how long to wait until they ring. (Dial up users need time to get off.) After selecting "right away" I clicked "submit," and the phone started to ring.

Wow. Voice over IP, I am pleased. And way to go Amazon for making this happen! How many times does customer service agree to call you when you have a problem?

My phone still isn't set up, but they'll give me $10 to make up for my pain and suffering.

***
I should also mention that I seemed to have more problems than usual in dealing with questions from the customer service people. On both calls I had to make, I had to have things explained to me. And a repetition of the explanation using slightly different words.

And I needed to give the last five digits of my credit card instead of the last four. Little things like that you learn to key in on to make these conversations a bit smoother. After months of not having to deal with it, I'm a bit rusty.

Skills for living in the modern world, gone, just like that.

No comments: