08 June 2006

Random conversations

We were queued to board the train. The man in front of me asked if this was the train to Washington DC. I replied, "I'm not going nearly that far, but you're in the right place."

I noticed two things. First, I had detected a slight accent, but could not place it. Second, even though we were both native English speakers and able to read the same set of signs, he felt a need to confirm the information. I certainly know this feeling. But this is what being in your own country does for you. I was certain of the system, and had no doubt I was in the right place. But more power to him for asking. Sometimes asking questions you think you know the answer to leads to some surprising results.

So I asked, "So, where are you from?"

Upon hearing "Scotland," we launched into a discussion about the fact that I had been there three weeks prior, and he had been in Madison, WI visiting friends.

We were able to get adjacent seats on the train, and continued the conversation for quite some time. He was quite fascinated by the scenery, and it is much better than that found by the Indiana Tollway. We had a random conversations about our family, what we did, where we had been, how the US operates, that type of thing. We exchanged names and well wishes just before I disembarked.

Much the same thing that would happen to me during my travels. I don't think that I would have pursued a conversation before I took my trip. Having been the one in dire need of reassurance, I felt a certain kinship. So I'm now more willing to end up in random conversations with perfect strangers.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

next thing ya know, you'll be picking up travelling foreign girls, err guys, at random!!