16 May 2006

It's a small world...

I saw Les Mis last night. I struck up a conversation with the couple sitting next to me. They currently live in Tennessee. I told them that I was from Peoria, and they were a bit astonished.

It turns out that they met at Bradley. The gentleman worked for the State Water Survey in Peoria back in the 1960's, before taking a job with the TVA. At that time, Peoria still had numerous distilleries and breweries. They used a lot of groundwater, and this lowered the water table. So the Water Survey devised a plan to use river water to replenish the groundwater. This gentleman was responsible for taking water samples from Hiram Walker. He said that each sample was provided in a whisky bottle.

1 comment:

Marcia said...

Actually, now that you mention it, other than Steve, they were the first midwesterners. However, they had a bit of a TN accent...