22 October 2005

Duck

Being in Beijing, I had to try the Peking duck. It was quite the experience. Fortunately, they slice it for you. It comes in small pieces.

Imagine a thin tortilla, five inches in diameter. You dip the duck in plum sauce, spreading it on the wrap. This, I found, is key.

Top it with garlic, cucumber, and purple lettuce, and youçre good to go. Imagine completing the following with chopsticksÑ

Fold the wrap over the contents to form a semicircle
Using your chopsticks, form a ÇVÇ over the contents.
I cheated, and used more plum sauce at the ends of the semicircle for use as spackle. Fold the ends over the middle, pick up, and eat.

Remember, this is ALL with chopsticks.

I was given a demo. Nothing ended up on my shirt, but it wasnçt pretty.

MH

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

well, there's a ready market out there for it. takes quite a bit of effort to make the duck. no ducks sitting around w/o ready customers i guess ...