14 October 2005

The phone...

There seem to be a number of off line questions about the phone... Through a long trail, which I won't repeat here (I know it's shocking for me to leave out a detail), I found a web site that explained a lot of info about international phones in general - the frequencies, different companies, using an US based provider vs local SIM chips, etc.

I chose one of the two recommended providers. Incoming calls in Europe and China are free, outgoing is $0.50 per min. The other provider gave you a free SIM chip, but had much higher per minute charges.

The company that makes the sim chip is Riiing. I went to telestial.com to actually purchase the chip. They were mentioned in a few guide books as a SIM chip provider.

I purchased the phone on ebay for $85. It's a quadband unlocked Motorola V180. Nothing special, just does exactly what I want.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

A sim chip for phones goes by the name of "Riing?"

Enough of phones... we got plenty of phones here in the US. We don't need no stinkn' phones. What we want to know is... Where in the World is Marcia?