25 October 2005

Hear no evil...

For those of you that don't know this, I was a sophomore in high school before I knew that there were only three "no evils" - hear no evil, say no evil, speak no evil.

Why would I have fostered such a misunderstanding? Growing up, my parents had a curio cabinet containing four monkeys sitting on a piece of wood. They demonstrated four evils - hear no evil, say no evil, speak no evil, and do no evil. "Hear no evil" monkey covered his eyes, "say no evil" monkey covered his ears, etc.

Walking through the market in Xi'an, I fulfilled a life long quest - to find a set of said four monkeys for myself.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I must say I was wondering the same thing...

Chris Kneer

Marcia said...

I can answer this now that I am out of the grip of Chinese censors. I can now see my blog again... The fourth monkey is covering his genitals.