16 January 2006

My first bus breakdown...

So I was on my way to Munnar. There was a 9:30 and a 10:45 bus from Kovallam. I decided to go for the earlier, as it's about a five hour ride. Honestly, it's a bit early for me, but I decided to suck it up.

I had more difficulty than usual in determining which bus to get on. I saw someone else as the station manager which bus went to Munnar. So I resolved to watch this guy like a hawk, and when he moved, I would move.

Worked like a charm. But it turns out that the bus had a flat tire. They fixed it in about 20 minutes. There was no annoucement that the bus was leaving. It wasn't in the spot that it should have departed from. The only reason I knew to get on the bus was because I kept my eye on the Indian of Interest.

We drive, and drive and drive. About three hours later, they tell us that the engine has gone bad. An hour until they fix it... I ended up catching another bus going from parts unknown to Munnar.

I should have slept in and taken the later bus.

But I am feeling like I'm out of the funk. I have a desire to go see things again. Talking with the family yesterday really helped.

So tomorrow, I'm spending some money. I've hired a taxi to take me to Periyar National Park. I looked up the tourist agent recommended by the Lonely Planet, Rough Guide, and everyone else. There's a lot to see in Munnar, as it's tea plantation and cardimom plantation, and hills and nice weather. So I have a nice little tour planned for the morning before I head to the park. The agent told me that the busses to Periyar were worse than the others. Only small busses can make the tight corners, so the busses end up very crowded. That, and the limited time I have made me go for the splurge...

I'm not sure when you will next hear from me, as I'm staying in the park, and I don't know if they have internet access... I'm at the park for a couple of days before resuming movement...

No comments: