07 January 2006

TV...

In India, I've been staying in places a bit nicer than those in my other ports of call... It's all good and well, as I don't think that I want to experience the bottom of the barrel, or rather, the bottom of the bathroom in a budget place...

With that explained, I have a TV in my room. This is quite new for me. I have seen TV, even Indian TV on our trip last year. But I found something disturbing in the places I'm staying, and I don't remember this happening before.

It seems that the same stations are broadcast on multiple channels. So you'll see Station A, Station B, Station A, Station B. Right now, I have three channels of HBO, all showing the exact same thing. It's a bit mentally disconcerting. I'm flipping the channels. I'm still flipping the channels. But I don't see new channels. It's like a bit of deja vu in your daily life. Each time this happens, part of me worries that I've slipped into the Twilight Zone of Indian TV.

5 comments:

Roxy said...

Instead of 57 channels and nothings on, its 57 channels and they are all the same! Weird! I do believe that your perspective as an American is making this journey very entertaining for the rest of us.

Anonymous said...

This sounds like a waste of channels and frequencies to me. But still, there's probably nothing on anyway. What kind of programs are on Indian TV? Lost? Desperate Housewives? Star Trek?

Marcia said...

Most of the stations play Hindi movies all day. If I'm lucky, I'll be in a place that gets the BBC or CNN. In New Delhi, they had a reality tv station. But it was shows about cops, EMTs, bomb squads, not Survivor. Otherwise, it's a bit difficult to find an English station.

I should point out that the HBO isn't like at home. There are commercials, and they don't really show anything more than a PG-13 or so. Yesterday's line up included "Coming to America" and "Lethal Weapon I."

Anonymous said...

For some reason, I'm reminded of my experience at NAB last year, where a vendor was showing off their video encoder. It had encoded a scene from a Bollywood
film (and done a nice job of it -- a very challenging clip, actually).

Still, it was a bit odd to be sitting in a hotel room in Vegas that had been turned into a decent home theater, watching a Hindi musical..

Anonymous said...

don't lose it yet.. you're almost home!!!! :) :)
/pbz