31 January 2006

Sleep deprivation...

So I think the goal of the first couple of days of the tour is to exhaust you for the felucca trip. LAst night was spent on a train in a seat that reclined, albeit ever so slightly. The bathroom on the train was worse than those on India's trains...

And tomorrow we must be up at 3 AM to join the police convoy at 4 AM to see Abu Simbal. (Maybe my mom will breeze right over that sentence.) It's at the soutern end of Lake Nassar.

The lake was formed by the construction of the Aswan Dam. I took the optional excursion today - like I was going to miss a chance to see a huge dam - to visit it. Quite impressive, and heavily protected. A breach in the dam would send water hurling down the Nile all the way to Cairo. Not good when 90% of your people live on the banks...

Anyway. I'm on the fallucca ride for a couple of days, so you won't hear from me. Egypt is going well, and I'm looking forward to a bit of relaxation.

No comments: