21 February 2006

Have I mentioned that I'm sleeping in a cave?

This area, Cappadocia, is famous for its rock formations. It's where the Hittites hid. Indeed, I saw an underground city yesterday, 30-80 meters underground. They only let us go down to 35 meters, however, around 100 feet.

The area was formed by volcanic eruptions. Most of the rock is easy to carve out, and indeed, it's a common practice. So my pension has rooms in a cave. I have electricity and a radiator for heat.

I've tried to add photos, but blogger seems a bit uncooperative right now... I'll try again later...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cecil - "When that pie hit your face, I saw my dreams explode in a burst of cream and crust. But I suppose I should thank you Bob. After all, it has led me to my true calling."

Sideshow Bob - "Cecil, no society has ever considered 'Chief Hydroelectric Engineer' a calling."

Cecil - "AHEM!"

Sideshow Bob - "Yes, yes. The Cappadocians. Fine!"

Did you find any references to Chief Hydrologic and Hydrodynamic Engineer amongst the caves?

Marcia said...

Ummm. No. They have the underground cities there, which do require a lot of hydrogeologic know-how. They have to dig a well that can't be poisoned from the surface.

Anonymous said...

woo score another one for the writers of the Simpsons - i guess they did their research!!