16 February 2006

Opinions...

So I went to the Aya Sophia. It started life as a church, and was then converted into a mosque. Now, it's a museum. And museums are full of school groups.

I'm standing there reading my book, describing all of the mosaics. The kids encircle me, encroaching on my private space. So I look up and say, "Hello."

I look around and get no response, and go back to my book.

Then, one boy says, "English?"

I reply, "Yes."

One girl asks me where I'm from, and given the reply, gives me a thumbs up. "America is very good."

I tell them my name, and they have me repeat theirs. They are herded off to the next point of interest...

Contrast this to the opinion of most of the Europeans I meet. They see Americans as loud, insecure, and bad dressers.

I feel maligned.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

err, who thought we're bad dresser and loud and all that? the turks or the europeans?

we are a loud people actually ... but nothing compared to the Chinese as far as loud in the group setting. (i'm speaking we as in 'merkins of course)

Marcia said...

The Europeans, actually. The Turks seem happy with the US and Americans. I think I may end up being one of those people who say that Europe's great except for the Europeans...

Anonymous said...

hehe, i've only said that about paris (: well, once you get to the western bits of europe, and come across other american travelers (like the two Aggies this last time in Dublin), you may come to the same conclusion.

Anonymous said...

Every time I travel I am reminded why my ancestors moved.
/pbz

Anonymous said...

Follow up question. Where are all the places that one can go and be immediately mobbed by kids who mob you and say America is very good. And all of whom want to touch your camera and you will be their hero when you give them a pinwheel mint. Not many places anymore. You have to seriously go to the backwoods of Asia or the Pacific right?

I'm the only officer in town this weekend except for Chief.. I think I might also be the only qualified engineer in town. *%&#(

/pbz

Marcia said...

Not many places are happy to see us... This is really the only place I've been mobbed by kids... Unless you count the individual kids that have come up to me and asked me to buy a bracelet/postcard/ other item...

Anonymous said...

Hmm, that seems a fair assessment of the Dutch dudes I met out in San Jose last year. But they were fun to dine and drink with...
-ap

Marcia said...

It is on my agenda to check Holland for the Dutch. I'll report on that in a few months...