28 February 2006

Westernized world...

I know that I've returned to Westernized standards:
  • The public busses have seat belts. I haven't seen a seat belt in months.
  • Butt-gaskets: I don't know how else to describe them. You find them in bathrooms. They are the thin paper shaped as an outline of a toilet seat. You put one down before you sit down. These were on the train from Turkey to Greece. Bonus: There's also soap in the bathrooms.
  • Sidewalks: They are even, not blocked (usually) by a score of motorcycles and somebody's ad hoc shop, and they have ramps to the street.
  • Coffee: Nescafe isn't considered "top of the line" breakfast beverage.

5 comments:

Roxy said...

Butt Gaskets?! Are you sure it's not a Butt Washer? I believe that they are called toilet seat protectors....but aren't they really protecting your butt and not the seat...I guess it depends on where your butt has been! My friend Diane is a fan of the Butt Gaskets and rates bathrooms highly if they have them available...have you noticed your fascination with bathrooms on this trip?

Roxy

Marcia said...

It's one of those things. Everybody needs them. Everyone relates to them. We have certain expectations of a bathroom. But reality and expectations diverge wildly on this trip. I just feel the need to share...

At least I didn't take a photos of the worst offenders... Mostly because you would seriously worry about me if you knew I had to resort to using it...

Anonymous said...

wait 'til you get to Denmark, or one of those other "green" countries where they have the dual flushing system which regulates the amount of water that flows depending on whether you wee wee'ed or poo poo'ed. those are some kick ass toilets!

Anonymous said...

Ya, I don't get why everyone in Europe loves (or thinks Americans love) Nescafe. Speaking of Croatia our hosts at a guest house one night were literally speechless that we didn't want Nescafe in the morning.

Anonymous said...

Hell, half the public restrooms around here don't have the gaskets available. You must be in high society now.

Chris K