08 April 2006

Breakfast

So the breakfast is usually served cold in these parts. Museli, yogurt, hard boiled eggs, cheese, bread, you get the picture. (As an aside, for the last month, I've been in places that pronounce the "j" as a "y," so I first typed "jogurt" instead of "yogurt.") I wanted fried eggs for breakfast, and thus asked the hostel receptionist for directions to fried eggs.

I arrived at a brunch buffet, with scrambled and boiled eggs, but not fried. No matter. I ate cheese of all sorts, museli with yogurt, and cheesecake. (I've started running again, so my appetite was great.) No one came by to clear my used plates. But I noticed that none of the other tables had piles of dishes. In my attempts to figure out the system, I noticed that all of the Germans were using the same plate for each trip to the line.

Our public health code doesn't apply here...

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Never did understand that rule. What's the harm? You accidentally scrape chewed up food back into the scrambled egg tray?

I have to do my taxes today. Grrrr

/pbz

Marcia said...

I think that's it. Those microbes get everywhere.

And at least you didn't wait until the last day...

Anonymous said...

Had you been drafted into the U.S. Army in the 60s the concept of re-using the same tray/dish would not be so foreign...I think we introduced it to the huns after we crushed them in WW/II. And the microbes probably help digestion. I'm enjoying your trip...
JPask

Anonymous said...

Well its official I am head to Chennai for 3 weeks June 9-30. The temp is to be around 100-110 with high humidity. I have been reading up on the area after our telephone conversation. (Yes, I remember it) You should head back and meet me there. It could be fun. Do you know any one in that part of the country?

Rhonda

Marcia said...

Ouufff... Not nice. I don't know anyone in that city, but can give you a few ideas of places to go visit. No lines, but no guarantee you'd want to be outside either. Be forewarned, one of them was where a monkey stole my Snickers bar...

Marcia said...

Oh - did you ever find out how much alcohol you could bring into the country?

http://www.excite.co.uk/travel/guides/indian_subcontinent/india/DutyFree

You can bring in about a liter. Choose wisely.