19 April 2006

On to Belgium tomorrow...

So I managed to weave my way through the construction at Centraal Station Rotterdam to get a bus ticket to Antwerp. Actually, Antwerpen if you're in the Nederlands. There is construction at most of the major train stations in The Netherlands. They have some multiyear project to upgrade to a high speed rail system. It's not a large country, but they have 60 million people, and they all eventually need to go someplace else.

Anyway. I've had a great time here. I did all of the traditional Dutch things - eat cheese, take a canal ride. And I ate raw herring at the urging of Jozien. It has the same consistency as smoked salmon. I do have pictures of this, as the herring came planted with a small Dutch flag. But I have yet to find a computer to let me upload pictures...

And, I ate at a Febo. This is a chain that's at the crossroads of vending machines and fast food. They make a variety of products, all described in Dutch, but mostly burgers or something out of the fryer. You insert the exact amount of money (change machine on premises) and open up a little window and collect your food. The picture will make it easier to understand... Slather with mayonnaise, and you're all good.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Who knew, the Automat is still alive in Europe..

Anonymous said...

Hi Marcia,

in The Netherlands there are only 16 millions people, not 60!
The major construction work is for the 'hoge snelheidstrein', compare it to the TGV in France.

And eating at Febo's means that you 'eet uit de muur' which means that you eat from the wall.

Regards,

Jos Pangels
(Dutch guy from your Battlebus tour)