26 April 2006

Egypt...

Yes, that subject is correct. Most of you have heard about the bombings in Dahab. I was there in February - it's where my diving gear malfunctioned.

I don't think that I had actually eaten at the restaurant, but certainly knew where it was, and had passed it, and the bridge, on a daily basis.

So how do I feel? It was the surprise of hearing about somewhere I had been, but not in a good way. There's a bit of the "before the grace of God go I" feeling.

Would I go back again? Not to Dahab - I didn't have a good enough time there the first time. Would I go back to Cairo or Luxor? Yes. Bali? Yes. London? I'm going.

As an engineer, I try to weigh, measure, calculate. I'll travel to areas with prior terrorism on the assumption that the occurance of something "bad" is more or less a random event with low probability. I don't go to places like Nepal, where the government is unstable at best. It seems to me that unstable governments lead to "bad" events that are still random, but with a slightly higher probability. Or it may be that there's no mechanism to deal with a "not so bad event" random event, thus increasing the probability that a spirals out of control into a "bad" event.

There has to be a PhD dissertation in here somewhere...

1 comment:

Marcia said...

OK - the nightclub thing - good idea in general, but is there some specific story that I've missed?

CNN told me that Snoop Dog had been detained on his way to South Africa, but that was as a result of a complaint by BA.