02 April 2006

Prague

I have arrived safely in Prague...

I didn't want to take the overnight train from Krakow to Prague, as there are lots of stories about people being involuntarily separated from their stuff. There is a town on the border that is half Polish and half Czech, separated by a river. My Krakow hostel said that it was cheaper to take a bus to the border, walk across the border, and then take a train into Prague.

I found the border. The Polish immigration agent had no issues. The Czech agent wanted to know what I was doing there. I told him I was going to Prague. He repeated his question, with more the tone of "Why on earth are you in the middle of nowhere?"

I showed him the map provided by the hostel, highlighting the path from one station to the next, the bus and train schedules, and then he seemed to understand the method to the madness.

I did take a photo of the crossing, but I'll have to post that later...

I may hit the embassy tomorrow, or I may do a walking tour instead. I need to investigate government hours...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

ahh, at least ya weren't chased by the said czech border guard (: astronomical clock, stairmaster work out climbing the st. vitus cathedral (if it's open), watch the street performers on the charles bridge (watch out for dog poop), catch the black light theatre or the marionette theatre, wonder around old town .. git drunk (: prague rocks.

Roxy said...

Have you had a kolache yet? Mmmmm good!

Marcia said...

I have no idea what kolache is, so I don´t think that I ate it. I did try Czech food, consisting of meat, potato product, and rye bread. But all in all, it was put together in a quite tasty manner...