29 April 2006

The devil you know...

So keep in mind that my high school French classes ended over a decade ago.

Very few places have an English language menu. It's usually not possible to get someone to translate the whole menu for me, so I just end up making due with certain words I remember. Poulet is chicken, gateux is cake. I take care to avoid anything that looks like "cheveux," horse.

So I saw something that looked like beef tartare. So I chose that one, as it seemed familiar. I have never consumed it, knew nothing about it, but I had at least heard of it. It was the devil I knew. I thought it strange that the waiter didn't ask me how I wanted it prepared.

Raw meat doesn't require this information. I was provided with two cups, and happily consumed one of them. I figured that at some point in time, I had consumed something worse. And if the French are serving it, it will at least be tasty, and it was. So maybe I'm over my raw meat issues.

But the whole thing does remind me that the devil you know isn't necessarily better than the devil you don't...

1 comment:

Marcia said...

I have no doubt that it was prepared as specified. The meat was a coarser cut than would have been gotten by the typical machine...

And most of the milk I have been consuming is UHT milk. It seems to be cheaper and comes in the smaller quantities that I seem to need. For the uninitianted, the milk is sterilized at a high temp, and put in a tetrapak - like what you find for HI-C or individual containers of juice...