12 April 2006

Let's keep this between you and me...

So yesterday was spent at the Topography of Terror exhibit and the Memorial to Murdered European Jews. The first is a chronicle of the property that housed Gestapo and SS headquarters. The second, you can surmise.

So I needed a little levity in my day. I went to Potsdamer Platz for a movie at the Sony Center, where movies are shown in their original language. Ice Age II was playing. I purchased a ticket (Tuesday was cheap day, a bonus.)

On the way in, I investigated the concession stand. Low and behold, I could get a Pauliner Dunkel Hefe Weizen. This translates into half a liter of a dark wheat beer. Not something I am capable of passing up.

After questioning the woman behind the counter, I find that yes, I can purchase this and take it into the theater with me. Just leave the glass in the cupholder when I'm finished. It was actual glass, complete with the Pauliner logo.

The beer was quite tasty. It gave me a feeling of being at home watching a movie, instead of being at the theater. Don't worry, I wasn't sitting next to any kids, but I did feel a bit strange.

As a "cultural" report, before the film began, there were 20 minutes of commercials, not movie previews, just commercials. The last one was for ice cream. Then the curtain closed again, and someone waled around the theater to sell ice cream. After five minutes, the curtain reopened, and the movie previews began. Finally, about half an hour after the posted start time, Ice Age II began. I felt like a geologic age or two had passed me by...

3 comments:

*lynne* said...

acheyhol in the cinema? heaven!! :-D

i'm going to assume the advertisements were of a wider variety than here in Malaysia, where it's usually limited to two products:
- beer (cos they can't be advertised on regular tv), and
- sanitary napkins. Yes, sanitary napkins. What a combo :p

Marcia said...

The ads were in German, so I received little content from the ads... I think there was a car commercial, a dog commercial, an AIDS awareness commercial that the rest of the crowd found quite good...

Anonymous said...

Holy smokes! Drinking real beer from a real glass in a movie theater that doesn't reek of college kid puke (hopefully), that's awesome! Ryan said you were travelling, I think it's neat you're keeping a blog of your travels for everybody to see. Erik and I will have to come see you and Chris when you get home to check out pictures :D