05 November 2005

Any questions?

OK. With one country down, I thought I'd answer those things people suggested that I keep track of:

- I found no Diet Pepsi. Even in a grocery store. Diet products in general were difficult. I only saw Diet Coke.

- Food: I was always able to acquire food, but there were many times I was unsure of ingredients. There was no answer key provided. A lot of times, I would point at a container of something, or point at something that someone else was having. So I never had to walk away hungry, just uncertain.

- Women travelling alone: I really had no issues here. No one was rude, no one stared at me, at least more than they would stare at any foreigner.

- The phrase book was worth its weight in gold. I could just point at a word, and things happened... This is how I bought a cell phone charger...

- Sex shop count: 6, with about 4 of them in Xi'an. I went in none of them. But you have to understand that shops here are a bit different than in the US. Imagine rows and rows and rows of garage doors, leading into single car garages. Fill them with A LOT of stuff, and you have stores in China. So these shops are really right there on the street, but some of them did have doors...

So - Is there a topic you want me to cover? A mystery not discussed/mentioned? Let me know. I reserve the right to delete your comments... But I'm feeling a bit libertarian after the censorship on the mainland, so I'll probably leave it be.

1 comment:

Marcia said...

Well... I should say that I noted a fair number of dogs, but never noted dog crap. However, I never saw anyone clean up after a dog. I should note that the streets and sidewalks are CLEAN throughout China. I would see people sweeping all the time. So I'm not sure if it was the dog owners cleaning up after the dogs, or the street sweepers cleaning up after the dogs.

There are, apparently, no leash laws, as I never met a dog on a leash.