23 November 2005

Hello again....

Sorry for the delay in posting. Chris was right on all three counts. I honestly tried to get on the internet last night, but it was "not possible." I am now back in Legian. I'll be hanging out here until I fly to Thailand on Sunday.

So I have received my Open Water Diver Certificate. So let's talk a bit about diving. Yes, I do have pics. They are high resolution, so I need to make some low resolution ones to post. I'll burn the high resolution ones, and mail that to the US, so if you see a print you want, contact me for further instructions.

The pictures are beautiful. I saw lots of fish, stingrays, eels, coral. The USS Liberty is sunk of the eastern coast of Bali. The WWII era ship has created quite the ecosystem. We went 15 meters (50 ft) deep for our dives. You can tell the color differences in the pictures. The deeper ones are more blue.

I'll explain the technology, of course. I stuck my memory card into my instructor's camera. The camera was placed in a watertight case. Cases are apparently available for most camera types. I took a some of the pictures. I won't even claim to have taken the best ones. I'll get them posted in the next few days.

In diving, you have to forget all you learned about swimming. Your arms shouldn't be doing much at all, and your legs certainly shouldn't be doing the swimming thing either.

Come to think of it, you really have to forget all you know about moving on land as well. It's a place where you move into a handstand, kick your legs to propel you forward, and you don't hit your head on the ground. Do you know how strange it is to have your legs flailing above your head, and yet you don't go crashing into anything? It's a different world down there.

No comments: