26 November 2005

Reading material...

So I have a lot of time to catch up on reading, and I figured I'd give you an update on that...

I brought A Short History of Nearly Everything by Bill Bryson with me. Quite good. Bill Bryson normally does a lot of travel writing, not guidebooks, but things that happen to him while he travels. That's how I became acquainted with his writing. But this is more about science. Stay with me!! It's science the way that you should have learned it. Every few pages there is a fact that will just astound you, like the fact that the Atlantic and Pacific Oceans have different salinity levels. If they didn't, the current in the Atlantic would flow north to the Artic and melt the pole instead of warming Europe. You don't need a science background for it, but it does answer a lot of questions they should have answered in school...

My other books have been purchases at used book stores. So you can see what everyone else is reading. Interesting, as I have never read Sydney Shelton, but she seems quite popular. I've been wanted to read Walden, but have yet to find that. (Bali also seems to lack large bookstores of the type you'd find in the US. One's found in airports seem far better.)

So in the selections Ubud Library was selling, I stumbled upon Global Soul by Pico Iyer. The author has Indian parents, was educated in England, but is a permanent resident of the US, in California, and now lives in Japan. (He's a writer for Time.) The book discusses the fact that he's not the only one in the world with such a conglomeration of backgrounds. Good read, made more meaningful because I had been to many of the places he traveled to in search of answers. Some of it is about the difficulty faced when flying from one place to another. What do you put down for nationality, address, which form do you get. He talks about airports being the one place he feels at home. This I can wholeheartedly agree with. The least stressful times for me are in airports. I know the system, I know what should happen. There are always English signs. It's only when I exit that I have to worry about putting a roof over my head and feeding myself. The airport is a brief respite from the stress of having to figure out another culture. (I think my brother would like this book.)

Other parts of the book talk about mixing cultures. Toronto has many different cultures living together in mostly harmony. There's little actual mixing however. Most of it is groups living with each other. Which seems to be true for a lot of places...

The current read is Fast Food Nation, but more on that later...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Marcia, Happy Belated Thanksgiving!!! Sounds like you had an interesting Thanksgiving dinner. How is the food situation there?? Just wandering. Let me know how you like Fast Food nation, I have been interested in reading it. Enjoy Thailand.
See ya! Kayla