10 November 2005

Dogs...

There are a lot of dogs in Bali. None have been aggressive, some have been loud. If the dog has a collar, it has a home. Having a home does not mean that you don't get to roam freely. Roaming is a pleasure all dogs here seem to get. Aside to Ryan: Again, I have seen no one picking up dog crap, but I have also not found any.

This is, of course, background to my story:

I was waiting for the hour of silent meditation to start (see prev. post), and I was hungry. Sensing that the two states of being were incompatible, I went for a snack of juice and nuts. I stopped at the football field to watch kids playing soccer. Soon thereafter, a dog came bounding in. She was still a puppy, not even a year old, judging by her size. And, she was black and white.

I pay attention to all black and white dogs, as they remind me of Buster. And I have a special fascination with black and white puppies, as I did not have Buster at that age. So I like to think that there's a time machine, and I can see him as a puppy.

This particular puppy was carrying something black, flat, and foul looking. And she was looking pleased. Soon, she dropped the foulness, and began rolling all over it. This behavior is also a Buster activity. She had such a pleased look on her face. She stopped, looked at the foulness, and then proceeded to roll in it again. Then, she got up, picked up the foulness, and proceeded on.

And I am watching all of this with such joy. The dog had a great time; I have had a "walk down memory lane"; I do not have to give a dog a bath to remove the stench.

No comments: