12 November 2005

Ubud, part II

Lynne is correct in that there is only a title, and no text in the original Ubud post. I was on a dial up connection. It seems as if only part of the post made it.

In summary, I'm in Ubud, the cultural center of Bali. They have traditional dances nightly, a lot of artists are here. There's a lot of silver, gold, wood carving, painting, and textiles on offer.

There are still tourists here. In general, Ubud receives fewer visitors than the beaches at Kuta. You can tell that the place is used to seeing more people. But it also means that you can get some good bargains on the above art. It also has a very laid back feel to it.

I've seen a couple of dances (pictures to come). Some of them suffer from the effects of low lighting and being too far away for the flash to be truely effective. Others, esp the firedancer, are cool even though you don't really know what's going on. (Don't worry, I didn't either.)

I'll be here until Sat (19th I think). There's a meditation class Mon-Fri. I went to the silent meditation last Thursday. I did successfully sit quietly for a whole hour. I'm not sure why I want to take the class, but it seems like a good use of my time.

No comments: