02 November 2005

China thoughts

Well, I'm glad I did this.

There is a lot of modernization in China, often at the expense of their environment. Something like 17 of the 20 most polluted cities are in China. This is their industrial revolution. Capitalism is here.

But so is the totalitarianism. And I worry about this. We know a lot of what we know through our media. You may complain that the media in the US is part of a multinational corporation, and subject to purchase. But at least someone can speak the truth and not go to jail. At least you can read my blog.

I worry. In the US, sometimes the only thing that keeps a corporation anywhere near the straight and narrow is the fact that someone could expose their wrong. I see a country subject to the ills of capitalism, without a check in place. Look at the damage to the environment...

On the upside, China is a very safe country. I never felt like I was in danger. There are police everywhere. I wasn't worried about terrorism. The country clearly values its elderly and its young.

And I do want to thank the good people of China. Without their goodwill and patience, I wouldn't have been able to eat a meal.

No comments: