17 November 2005

Yesterday's walk

So I went for a walk yesterday. It was nice. It was one of those days that I thought, "Yes, this is why I did this."

I walked out of Ubud and through some of the neighboring villages. I walked through the rice paddies. I had a whole 20 minutes when no one asked me if I wanted "transport" to anywhere else. I did get a little misplaced. I was following a route suggested by the Lonely Planet, and forgot to turn east. I ended up with a nice view of rice.

The paddies themselves are an engineering marvel. They flood the terraces, let the rice grow, drain them, and then burn the land after harvesting. All of this water is controlled without the use of huge water tanks. Just ditches.

So yes, there are new photos posted and commented on. So it's about rice, and there's a big spider for Rhonda, and a few misc. things as well.

Oh - tomorrow, I go to Amed, on the east coast. Hopefully, I will learn to dive there...

No comments: