14 March 2006

The arts...

So the arts in this part of the world are highly supported by the government. The guidebook for Split says that during the winter season, it is worth it to see a performance, just to see the hall they are performed in.

So I found the hall yesterday. And looking at the performance for the evening, I found "balet" to be the only word I could really make out. Tonight's performance was marked "koncert" followed by some names I recognized, like Bach. So I went in to purchase a ticket for both, and succeeded without too much difficulty.

It turns out that Labude Jezero is Swan Lake. (I did double check via a translation site.) I thought nothing of it when in the first scene, someone walked on stage with a swan. I had actually assumed it was a goose. It was only a couple of acts later when a couple of swans floated on the "lake" that I began to suspect what I watching. I didn't get a program, as it was in Croation only.

I really enjoyed the ballet. There is far more clapping than I am used to providing, but none the less, it was a good time.

No comments: