29 March 2006

So I'm in Poland...

I'm wondering how long it will take before someone posts the first Polish joke.... But anyway. I'm in Krakow. There's an accent in there somewhere. I'll be here a few days before heading on to Prague.

I spent about three hours of my life in Vamosgyork, Hungary. I thought that it would be a major city, as the night train from Budapest to Krakow makes a stop there. I had the choice to spend three hours there, or I could spend three more hours on a train. I chose Vamosgyork..

It turns out that Vamosgyork is a small town. It is bigger than Olib, but not by much. Its main virtue is the fact that it's about a 10 minute drive from a large city, which itself is not on the rail system. Thus, a stop in the tiny town services the larger city. I surmised this information after finding an area map outside the train station, well after disembarking the train.

I did locate a map of the town on the reverse of the area map. The map key did have a fork and knife emblem. In practice, this translates into "small grocery store" instead of "restaurant." Lacking the ability to boil pasta, I came away with paprika flavored cheesy-poofs and some juice. Fear not, I did find a desert shop open, which provided me with some tasty goodness. I did note at least two bars were open, thus continuing the trend to drink with greater ease than eat in a small town.

4 comments:

Roxy said...

My Polish is limited, but dupa means butt and stari yaya means old balls...don't ask! As for cuisine...definitely have some sauerkraut and try kolachis, sweet and savory. I think you would enjoy it. While in Poland you must have some Wodka! I believe that it is a staple among the citizens! I am hoping my friend Diane will come through with some helpful hints on Poland soon!

Roxy said...

Okay, so funny how timing works sometimes. My Polish Party Princess Diane(Danusha in Polish) just called me. She is really envious of you and your adventures...as am I! Anywho, she said while you Krakow, you need to visit the Palace Wawel and while there visit the head hall inside the palace, apparently there are preserved severed heads...how refreshing! The town square is apparently pretty neat. St Mary's Cathedral is on the top of her list as well. She told me to tell you to inquire of the story of how it was built. Then once you hear the story you need to go across the street to Cloth Hall to continue the story. As for restaraunts, her favorite is Blood and Roses, monks stand outside the front door, much like bouncers, I assume. Once inside you go to the basement, much like a dungeon to eat your meal. She wasn't sure of the price, but said it is some of the best food she has had in that city.

If the night life seems a bit dead, she said that is because the Polish are generally very Catholic and are observing Lent, but her favorite Club, if it is still around, is Club Tasja.

She may be contacting me with more info, and if so, I will pass it along!!!

Marcia said...

Thanks for the info! I just walked around a bit yesterday. It was cold and raining, so I did't do much. I'll do most of this stuff tomorrow. I'm going to Auschwitz today...

Marcia said...

The Blood and Rose appears to be closed. The monk in front isn't real. I went to the Palace, and the head part must be in the section that's closed until May. I saw some art. Not as good as preserved heads would have been.

The Salt Mines will be tomorrow... Then I have to move on Sunday to Prague.