17 March 2006

Olib

I arrived on Olib, safe and sound, and was met by Pete's cousin, who took me to the family home. (I did get the requested photos; details provided offline.) I found the post office, and then made my way to Grobak, notes as bar/restaurant on the map of Olib provided by Pete.

It was far easier to get something to drink on the island than it was to get something to eat. The red wine was immediate. "I have a little fish, but I need bread" was the reply to my inquiry about food. No quicky mart/grocery store was open at lunch time. So his friend brought some bread. Little fish translated into sardines and shrimp, and some other small fish I can't identify.

And the red wine happiness wore off, I became aware of stomach pains. I guess my stomach doesn't like little fish. So I spent a couple of hours on a bed in Pete's house.

I did recover without incident. I plan to avoid seafood for quite some time. Then, I decided to go for a walk, as that would at least keep me warm. I met an Aussie, Lucy, who sends her regards to my readers who k now her. She's originally from Olib, but lived in Australia for 25 years before returning.

And I was pleased to note that I did have coverage for my mobile while I was there. Good thing, as a couple of you called...

All in all, the day ruled. It was great to get out and see island life. It's obvious that the place is far more happening in the on season. I will do my best to visit again when it's warmer...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dad was quite amused that you ran into Lucy. Then he thought about it for a while and decided it made sense.

He says no surprise on the little fish. He says they are called ribice (riba=fish ribica=little fish ribice=little fishes) and they are usually fried in tons of grease so he thinks you probably just had a reaction to all the greaze. Croatian cuisine-- it is not delicate or light.

Dad was slightly concerned on the lack of kitchen progress as apparently the guy has already been paid in full and is supposed to be "done", but, it is not a huge surprise. Mostly he was relieved that you didn't find any squatters there. :)

I think I confused him by mentioning your comment on finding the boat engine in the dining room. There was a boat there too right? Just checking. I can't imagine the boat would have gone far without its engine.

/pbz

Marcia said...

There was a boat like object in the dining room as well. It was one of those things with a big tube on each side.

Anonymous said...

That was it, thanks. Just one of those zodiac type inflatable hull boats. Good for zipping around the island.

Thanks again--
/pbz