03 March 2006

Europe...

Some meanderings...

So it's my last continent. (Did you hear my mom's sigh of relief?) I can see the end of my trip. It has me wondering what to do when I get back. Nothing definite, but I've got some ideas. I've ruled out the Peace Corps, as the air quality alone in developing nations really gave me a hard time. Perhaps a nice government job...

Europe feels so safe, so tame. It doesn't seem to hold the sense of adventure I've felt on the rest of the trip. I mean, there's no sense of accomplishment in getting from The Vatican to the train station. If Rick Steves can guide thousands of Americans through it, it's lost the feeling of a "victory." In so many places I've been, I've considered it a "victory" to get a meal.

At the same time, Europe isn't really as safe as most of the other countries I've been in. The guidebooks are full of "pickpockets operate here" notations. That's not been the case elsewhere. They list places to avoid at night, where other places have been of the "use the usual precautions, but you'll be fine" persuasion.

It's not all disappointing. I can walk down the street in Greece and not have anyone hawk their goods to me. That's really nice. I understand more of the "system" that makes Europe work. I can interact and understand the reactions. No one is going to try and get me involved in a "gem scam." I don't have to evade people coming up to me on the street, as no one approaches me. (I learned that people who do invariable do not have my best interests at heart.)

Maybe it's about the difference between real and perceived dangers. The East seems to be more adept at getting you to open up your wallet for them; Europe seems to open your wallet for you.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Edinburgh scoop ... apparently, those darn cows (the painted ones from Chicago) will be in Edinburgh this summer and we may catch 'em in May. otherwise, not a whole lot else in the city 'til the Fringe Festival in August. I looked on the tour website and the 3 day highland romp has daily departures