17 March 2006

Peter B, I owe you one...

So the one thing that Pete emphasized to me was to always say "Dober Dan" to anyone I meet, and say it first. As it translates as "Good afternoon" the thought was that I might not always be "correct" but at least I wouldn't be rude.

So I made my way to the ferry for Olib. I had been given the number of the jetty. I duly enquire, "Olib?" with the ticket taker, and I get a mumbled "Da" back. He takes the ticket, and I get on.

I take a look around, facinated by the ferry. I check out the life boat, the cargo, and then I meet a crew member. I smile and say, "Dober Dan!"

I promptly get a string of Croatian in replay. I have to grin and say, "Sorry, that's all I know."

He smiles, and explains that he asked me how I was. We go through the balance of the formalities in English, and then he asks me, "So, are you going to (Insert name of random Croatian island)?"

"No, I'm going to Olib."

"Oh. This is not the boat to Olib. Come."

He takes me under his wing, gets my ticket back from the ticket taker, as it is clearly marked "Olib," and he takes me to the correct boat.

All because I had the presence of mind to say "Good Afternoon" at 8:20 AM...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Heh... "Dobar dan" really means good day. Don't worry: it is perfectly fine to use at 8am. You did great.

/pbz

Roxy said...

I always say a little politeness gets you a long way!