26 March 2006

Moving on...

So today, I'm taking a bus to Eger (EGG-air). It's the Napa Valley of Hungary. Their most famous red wine, Eger Bull's Blood (long story relating to a war with the Turks) is made there. Apparently, there is the Valley of the Beautiful Women. It's a horseshoe shaped road, full of wine cellars. It's a few minutes walk from city center. Also, everyone raves about the castle and the church there, so I'll investigate those too.

From there, I am taking an overnight train to Kracow. The German railroad maintains a database of all RR operations in Europe. It kindly alerted me that I would be passing through the same rail station twice - once from Eger to Budapest, and then from Budapest to Kracow. So I have elected to spend three hours in a small Hungarian town instead of on a train... I'll let you know how that goes...

I plan to spend four days in Kracow. There's the city, some salt mines, and Auschwitz to see. And I figure I'll need a bit of downtime after the last of that list. From there, I'll head to Prague for a few days, where I should pay a visit to the embassy. I'm running a bit low on space in my passport. Not as many border controls have been abolished in Europe as I thought. I'm hoping to score a few extra pages in the passport before heading to Germany...

So that's an in-depth account of my future movements to make up for the fact that I forgot to tell you that I was going to Hungary before doing so...

No comments: