27 December 2005

Camel ride...

So the camel ride was much better than the elephant ride. There were many more smells involved, none good, and still I say that. Let's say that I have a good idea of what the camel ate for lunch...

There is sort of a rocking motion that you can do with your body to ease the gate of the camel. There are no stirrups, so your feet sort of swing in front of you. About half way through the ride, the guide told me to lean back as the camel moves down hill. This is actually a natural reaction. Leaning back while the camel is on level ground would result in straightening your body at roughly a 60 degree angle. There were certain downhills that I felt like I was standing straight up. It's a once in a lifetime experience. What people usually leave unstated about such things is that once in a lifetime is usually enough...

We went out to a remote village, as well as watched the sunset from the dunes. I have pictures that don't really do justice to the event. Later that night, they put on a dancing/music program. I got to sleep in a hut. The stars were beautiful and plentiful...

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

well, at least the camel didn't spit on you or try to bite you like what happened to my sister in Egypt. And no, it's not a play off of Monty Python - "A camel once bit my sister. No really, she was carving her intitials into the back of the camel with the sharpen end of a toothbrush given to her by her brother-in-law Mustafa".

White boy actually initiated a visit to eat sushi with his German trainer while in Kalamazoo on assignment. i've corrupted another one - or more to the point, i've given Don one more corruption. hell of a growth spurt!

Roxy said...

Do camels spit...or is that llamas? I can't remember. Wonder if you can ride a llama? Hey, by the way, I had those drinks for you tonight! Hee Hee! Sorry about not getting your call earlier...I was at the gym. They frown on you bringing your cell phones into the pool. I dunno why...they just do! Anywho...I swear I will recieve one of your attempts at communication soon!!!!! Hope all is well and you have a fabulous New Year...any plans? Stay silly and hope to hear from you soon!!!

Marcia said...

Ummm... This camel didn't spit, but it does seem like the type of creature that would. It didn't try to bite either, but I'm not really one to give it a chance. It did vomit, and that may have been on purpose, but again, I'm careful to avoid anything that comes from a camel's mouth.

Anonymous said...

marcia, you are so funny! Roxy, I do know what Llama's spit. i don't know about camels, though.

Anonymous said...

Oops I guess I should have signed that one - it was me! chris k