15 December 2005

When last we spoke...

It's been a bit... So that means I have a bit to say, of course.

Elephant ride: I should have known that it wasn't for me when they told me to step on the elephant to get on the rider's seat. I felt a bit queasy about that.

And it was raining. A lot. I had on a poncho with hood, covering me and my day pack. Through a regretable confluence of fluid dynamics and gravity, my upper butt was soaked, while my legs and upper body were dry.

The elephant driver, and I use that term literally, sat on the elephant's head, with one leg wrapped behind the animal's ear. He was constantly urging the animal onwards. We were walking on well worn, muddy paths. Up and down hills. I really wanted the driver to let the elephant seriously STOP and THINK about where he was going to put his feet. He has four of them to consider, after all.

The ride itself was a bit bumpy. It also subjected me to several precarious tilts on the hills. So overall, I can't say I really liked the ride, but I do suppose it is a life enriching experience on some level.

No comments: