07 December 2005

Interactions...

English is the language to know. If anyone here knows another language, it will be English. But conversational English is about as good as it gets. I can get directions, I can order food, I can make a phone call. But there's no going beyond that. So it's very hard to find out what a Thai is actually thinking, or how someone here actually lives, or what they think of Americans.

The other reason for this is that I'm automatically suspicious of anyone who starts a conversation with me. Or rather, anyone who starts a conversation without an immediate purpose, ie directions. I was visiting a wat yesterday. I was taking a few pictures, and someone came up to me and asked if I was from India. I replied that my mother was, but I was from The States. This gentleman was Thai, living in Australia while boxing. He had two kids who were here. He was visiting his grandparents/parents. He got me to sit down by showing me a picture of one of his kids with his wife. (This is all in the span of two minutes.) He said that he was going to the exposition to get something for his wife at home. He showed me where it was on the map, and indicated that it would be ok if I were to go with him. He asks me where I've been, where I'm going. It's all very smooth. But I feel a scam, and am not about to go anywhere with anyone I just met. So maybe he was legit, but I'm not the one who will find out. I'm the one who continues on my walk.

So, with some irony, I admit most of my actual conversations have been with Europeans. I don't meet Americans. (I have met, at most, five on the entire trip.) Australians were common in Bali, but most were not of the personality that would discuss the state of the world. It's the Europeans I talk with...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

yer gonna find that until you get to a country where english is more or less a primary language. it's quite common in the far east for people to be able to understand, and be able to convey pleasantries ... but anything to do with the philosophical ramifications of fiscal spending on precisely machined toilet seats to meet specs is probably beyond "hey, would you like some kung pao chicken".

the other bit about travelers and depth of conversation is a good observation. i ran into quite a bit of that too. do ya remember the comment i had when i was living in rockford about the fact that there are european hicks too? we just think of them as more quaint and village-like (:

i'm working on flying out for the Irish interview though they said to do a video conferencing call. keep ya posted!

Anonymous said...

Hey,

Thanks for the Baligram and Happy Basday as my African uncle would say. Big plans??

Speaking of which, where would we address your Christmas card this year? "General Delivery, Nepal"?

/pbz