06 December 2005

Reading Material...

As I've indicated before, I do a lot of reading on this trip. I finished Fast Food Nation, Around the World in 80 Days (I found it oddly fitting), and a couple Dan Brown novels.

My purchases in Chaing Mai include The Communist Manifesto, Common Sense by Thomas Paine, Video Night in Kathmandu by Pico Iyer, A History of Asia, and The Tailor from Panama by John La Carre. I also picked up a copy of this week's Economist magazine. And I finally found Walden as well.

I talked about Pico Iyer in the last book post. This book talks about how Western trends move through Asia. It should be an appropriate read.

I've always thought about reading the Communist Manifesto. I just wanted to know what it was that sparked a whole way of life for, at its time, about half the world. I thought Common Sense was necessary for some balance.

So I'm set for the rest of Thailand and couple of weeks or so of India. But, I would like some suggestions for future picks.

Criteria:
- In press long enough to be in paperback; It's lighter, and I'll be more likely to find it used.
- Should not be excessively long; Please, no War and Peace. It gets difficult to pack the big books.
- Mainstream that I would probably find it used. This is not so difficult as it sounds, but would preclude Beowulf in original Old English.
- No Russian authors. I read a few in high school, and found them depressing. I don't need that on this trip.
- No poetry. Just not in the mood.

Thanks for the help...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi, Marcia...

We haven't met, but Roxy Baker forwarded me the link to your blog, and I'm enjoying it immensely.

A couple of book thoughts occured me:

Hermann Hesse, if you haven't read him. (Anything but the Glass Bead Game, which is utterly incomprehensible.) Despite its (maybe questionable) philosophical weight, I've always found his work kind of entertaining, in a thoughful way. Really fitting for India, too, obviously.

Anything by Jon Krakauer. He writes the coolest travel books: Into Thin Air, Under the Banner of Heaven, Into the Wild.

Nobody reads her anymore, but MFK Fisher always makes me really happy, and her stuff is the kind of thing you can pick up for a paragraph and then grab for another three weeks later. The compilation is called "The Art of Eating" and I've seen it used in mass-market paperback. Obviously, that doesn't mean you will.

For fairly mindless absorption: Raymond Chandler, Ross McDonald, Carl Hiaasen, Tom Perrotta, Jonathan Kellerman, Janet Evanovich, Daphne Du Maur, Greg Iles.

I could go on forever, but I'll stop with my favorite vacation book ever: Tom Robbins' "Jitterbug Perfume." Robbins freaks like it the least of his novels, but it's my favorite, all good sex and magical thinking and brilliant strangeness.

I'll follow the blog, and hope we get the chance to meet when you come back....

Amy