22 December 2005

Hey all!

I am indeed alive and well in India. The 80/20 rule: Things are going to go right 80% of the time. It's the 20% of the time you have to worry about. And the 20% has a way of unexpectedly appearing when you're certain you're in the 80%.

I have a new mobile. The existing service was quite expensive for India. I had to give Airtel my passport. They copied the passport page, the visa page, and the entry card. They also took a copy of the information of the hotel I was staying in. And one passport sized photo is required per government regulations.


Contrast this to Indonesia. I show up at a corner office where there is a bank of phones. I give the guy some money, and I'm off. No paperwork at all. The Indonesian government has mandated that prepaid users register, or have their number shut off. It appears that there have been instances of using these cell phones to trigger explosive devices...

Anyway. I hope all is well...

No comments: