15 December 2005

Houston, we have an image problem...

I'm used to taking a bit of guff for being an American abroad. For instance, when I was in Bali, I was mistaken for Canadian. I corrected the man and said that I was from The States. He replied, "Well, we all have our problems."

I can laugh that off.

I was in a conversation with a few Europeans. The discussion centered on Thailand. I wanted to explain that Thailand was a Peace Corps country, but first, I had to explain what the Peace Corps was.

I explained that it was a program run by the US government to do work in developing nations. I listed a few countries, and a few general projects that they work on. The Spaniard was "AMAZED that the US government" would do something like that. The only message he ever received was about bombs and guns. The thought of the US doing some good never entered his mind.

I can understand not liking US policy, and expressing this opinion. But it's the narrowness of the view that really bothered me. Even China sent aid to the US after Hurricane Katrina. There's good and bad.

Let us flash forward to the next day. Bear with this story, as it contains details only the medical community is interested in. If I left them out, I would surely be questioned by one of the many readers from that profession.

I was on a boat with five Europeans and two Thai. We pull up on a beach for lunch. We can swim or sit, and I choose solid ground. The Spaniard from the previous night goes swimming, and cuts his foot and hand.

This, being a good tour company, has a first aid kit in the boat, complete with bandages, cotton balls, and iodine. The guide proceeds to clean the wounds, and the Spaniard lays down, and closes his eyes. He jerks his leg as the iodine is applied to the toe, and I tell him, "Hold still, he's about to put the band aid on your toe."

Getting no response, I become suspicious. I look at his eyes, and pupils are fixed and constricted. OK. I check the ABC's - airway, breathing, circulation, for the uninitiated. He's ok. He starts to "seize", but that stops after maybe five seconds. It's more like individual muscles contracting, not the whole body.

I start to tell him, "Ishmael. Ishmael. Come back. Wake up." etc. I don't actually get to take c-spine before he snaps to it. He starts looking around. Not postictal at all. Hmmm...

His buddy is so freaked out that I can not get him to talk to Ishmael in Spanish. After a few tries, he gives me his name, and knows that he's in Thailand. I don't bother with time, as no backpacker can really tell you that without looking at a watch and having a five minute conversation with his friend.

Pulse is 60 and strong, resps are a solid 16. He's wet because he's been swimming, but doesn't feel hot nor cold. Body temp is as expected to the touch. Hmmm.

I rule out any neurotoxins from sea creatures by questioning the guide about the area.

At this point, I'm pretty sure this is psychosomatic. Not that he doesn't feel bad, but it was more his mind having a problem and taking it out on the body instead of the body going into shock.

So I'm not surprised when he feels well enough to explain that this has happened before. He just gets queasy at the sight of his own blood.

Now, back to the point. The guy who can't imagine the US government doing any good in the world also never thanked anyone for helping him.

So I have to ask, is the shock that the US can do some good a result of his outlook on life? If he can't be appreciative of the help he received, maybe he's not receptive to the good things that happen elsewhere.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lots of people have that thing where they faint at the sight of their own blood. I knew it was coming before he even copped to it :)

On the lack of thanks, 2 points, (1) Spaniards are not the high quality that you would tend to associate with western Europe (2) one time I was out at a restaurant and helped a lady who thought she was choking, and her grandson later tried to give me a tip. You think it's weird not being thanked. Let me tell you: it's weird being given 10 bucks to save someone's life.

Sorry for the generalization on Spaniards and, oh ya, good medical care by the way. You're still an EMT.

/pbz

Anonymous said...

PS I asked my doc about that and there is some official name for it. It's just a weird thing some peoples' brains do.

One time when I was getting stitches post bike accident, my Mom was watching and she fainted. That was cool.

Anonymous said...

oh yeah, a part from our convo Marcia, there's a weird sense of entitlement i'm picking up from the Lithuanians. it's a bit odd coming from a former SSR but yeah, hard to describe. prolly best done over a pint, or 7.

Anonymous said...

For those like myself perusing the postings weeks later, my diagnosis is "vasovagal syncope with myoclonic jerks" (very common, not a seizure). The pain of the iodine or just the sight of the injury made his brain make his leg veins dilate, the blood pooled away from the brain, so he passed out and jerked a couple of times. With lying down, the blood returned to the brain and he recovers completely.

Not knowing any Spaniards, I can't comment on their breeding, but from years doctoring in the ER, nobody acts their best just after passing out. After they recover can be considered a separate case...

Scott