17 December 2005

India...

So I arrived yesterday, safe and sound. The Air India flight was about an hour late. The Indian food was good, ironically, catered by Thai Airways food services.

I took a pre-paid taxi from the airport to my hotel. I had to get into three taxis before one could actually take me from the airport. The first had a flat, the second driver didn't know where to go. It turns out that the third driver didn't either, but he eventually found it.

When depositing my articles in the safe, I met the proprietor. A most auspicious thing. We spent a good 15 minutes itemizing my valuables, and another 10 over a cup of tea. It turns out that he was originally from what is now Pakistan, but came to New Delhi after the partitioning. He is retired from the police force, so he assured me that my articles would be safe. And knowing him made it significantly easier to get my breakfast this morning.

The shops in Connaught Place (think "open air mall") are closed on Sunday. I am in search of a SIM card for my phone, as the current one has very high rates...

Here is the rough schedule for the next two weeks:

19 Dec: Overnight train to Jodhpur
20 Dec-24 Dec, PM: Aunt's house in Jodhpur
25 Dec-27: Jaiselmer
27th or 28th, depending on if train tix comes through: Return to Jodhpur
29 Dec: Overnight train to New Delhi, day in New Delhi
30 Dec: Overnight train to Varanasi
31 Dec-4 Jan: With family, at my cousin's house

My cousin will go over the next four weeks while I'm in Varanasi. I'll post a rough schedule then...

Hope all is well...

MH

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good to hear that you are in India finally...have sent you the kerala contacts to your gmail accnt.
Cheers
Abhishek

Anonymous said...

found out more about the shaggin' ... herr Schengen visa - apparently, it's necessary if one plans on traveling from one shaggin' country to another. since i'm going to Denmark from either Ireland or England, i won't need one. but if i decided to pop into Florence and go directly to Copenhagen from Florence, i'll need to get one.