30 December 2005

Shockingly pleased...

So there is a certain Indian cookbook with profound emotional and educational attributes. It's not in print in the US. When I was here a year ago, a book store in New Delhi had dozens of copies. I didn't know that anyone really needed the book, so I didn't stock up.

This morning, I rectified that. I purchased the four copies the Cosmos seemed to indicate were needed. (This is a great cookbook.) But it is heavy. So I really didn't want to carry it any further than necessary. I was directed to the nearest post office, some 150 feet away.

I had one other experience with the Indian Post. It was quite the ordeal, and no one ever received their post card to boot. So I was a bit worried about this. But it turned out surprisingly well.

There is a media rate to the US. But you must show that only media is shipped; books, papers, magazines, etc. I stood at the most popular counter, and was directed to someone else, then someone else.

Now mind you, I have walked in with a sack of books. NO box, nothing else. I am directed to the most physically active man in the office. He proceeds to tightly fold the bag around the books, tape the bag securly, and then stitch a bag for the books. No kidding. My four books were bound in cotton for a $1. I just write the "To:" address, and off it goes. (The cotton sack is open on one side to show only books are sent, but it deters anyone from trying to remove one of the books.)

It should be there in a week.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Pray give us the name of this culinary Holy Grail!
:D
Abhishek
P.S. Happy New Year from Sunayana and Me!

Anonymous said...

Happy New Year Marcia - I'm curious to learn how you'll choose to spend it! Thanks for the postcards and phone call (just sorry I wasn't there to answer!).

We've got your Christmas card and wedding pictures here all ready to go whenever you decide to return.

Kristen and Mahd

Roxy said...

Happy New Year and a Joyous 2006 to you! I hope that you rang in the new year properly! You will be pleased to note that Shane and Julie got engaged tonight...I cried like a little baby. We got it all on video so you can see it when you return...I hope you are back in time for the wedding...I am sure that it will prove to be a fabulous party!!!! Miss you lots and hope that you are growing in many ways...Your friend, Rox

Marcia said...

The cookbook is by Madhur Jaffrey - Chris, can you supply the exact title? It's hard to find in the US...