04 December 2005

Where I am/will be...

OK. So I've been hard at work the last two hours or so, and have nailed down some details.

I'll be in Chaing Mai until Thurs, 8 Dec. I'm taking a Thai cooking class tomorrow, and then visiting the highest peak in Thailand, Doi Inthanon, on Tuesday. Wednesday, I'll see some of the wats (temples) in Chaing Mai itself.

On Thursday, I'll fly to Phuket. I'll head north to Khao Lak, where I'll be doing more diving. You probably won't hear much from me at this point. I dive during the day on Friday, but then do a liveaboard Sat-Mon. This means I go out on a boat and don't come back for awhile. We'll see how that goes. I'm going through Sea Dragon Dive Center.

After that, I plan to head north to Khao Sok. It's a national park. A rainforest, actually. I think that I can ride an elephant there. We'll see. After that, I have another day or so before I have to head back to Bangkok. Again, I head to India on 18 December.

Please let me know if you need any more details.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I need pronunciation help with all these place names.

Also, any runins with the tsunami yet? Just checking.

Another exciting day at the office here. But, my client gave me the "Emergency!" Season 1 DVD set, which is exciting inasmuch as I never really got to watch it before.

Tonight one of our Captains and I are headed over to Westmont for a class on "reading smoke". Based on the color of the smoke, where it's coming from, the density, velocity/push, and some other factors, you're supposed to be able to divine useful information about the fire, like its position, stage in the life cycle, material burning, etc. Unfortunately there are very few people who actually TEACH you to do this with any sort of scholastic instructional method. Rather the skill is honed by random experience or accident and/or made up by shysters trying to seem experienced for the sake of writing mediocre magazine articles ("CE"). So to me reading smoke has been on about the same level as reading tea leaves. I'll let you know how the class goes, because I'm sure it's interesting to you in between the Bridge over the River Kwai, and the army of Terra Cotta Warriors.

Try not to drink too much, mm-kay? :)

/pbz